State Street – Project Mission
The mission of the State Street Corridor Plan is to create a long-term vision and implementation strategy that will enhance State Street’s overall land use, economic vitality, physical appearance and image.
The State Street Corridor Plan represents the results of a multi-year collaborative process between the City of Columbus and State Street businesses, property owners and residents. Together a planning framework and vision was created that would revitalize and develop the State Street Corridor.
The collaborative process included a series of interviews and focus group sessions with key State Street leaders and stakeholders, public open houses, meetings with the Corridor Plan Steering Committee and consultations with the Indiana Department of Transportation.
In turn, the community’s collective ideas, shared values and goals for State Street’s revitalization have been drafted in written form as a comprehensive vision statement – a statement that should inspire and motivate State Street residents and property owners to work together to implement various elements of the Corridor Plan. The vision statement also summarizes State Street’s key strengths and assets, identifies opportunities to improve the Corridor’s look and appearance, and provides direction for future business and economic development efforts.
Phase 1 – Update
Haw Creek Bridge Improvements and Gateway Are Underway
By Spring 2017, the following will be completed. Construction is currently underway.
- 54” high cable bridge railing system on both sides of the street for pedestrian and cyclist safety.
- Architectural elements on each side of bridge provide bold visual statement and feature accent lighting.
- Central Avenue gateway features brick plaza spaces formed as ‘gears’ to reflect the industrial arts heritage.
- Plaza tree plantings provide an ‘outdoor room’ under the canopy and human scale to a busy intersection.
- Bridge widened to accommodate 10’ wide side path on the north side and a 6’ wide sidewalk on the south.
- Protective barrier between traffic and pedestrians, both sides.
PHASE 2A – LOOKING AHEAD & MAKING PROGRESS!
CONSTRUCTION STARTS ON THE NORTH SIDE OF STATE STREET
UPDATE: July 2017
Exciting times are ahead as Phase 2A State Street Corridor designs are completed and construction gets underway in May 2017. Design improvements will include multiple green spaces, a new trail, new sidewalks, new lighting and more. With so much planned along State Street, the original Phase 2 project was divided into 2 major components – Phase 2A and Phase 2B.
The drawing below shows all the different Phases of the State Street Project. Notice that Phase 2A is the red dotted line; Phase 2B – the green dotted line. Phase 2A will extend from the south end of Haw Creek Bridge (near Stadler Drive) all the way to Mapleton Street.
Phase 2A is budgeted to cost $2,600,000. This funding amount was approved by the Columbus Redevelopment Commission on March 20th, and City Council followed with their endorsement and approval on April 3rd, 2017. The breakdown below explains the funding.
The HIGHLIGHTS of Phase 2A are numerous. This project is nearly a full mile of new work (considering both sides) and is the “core” of the State Street Project. Phase 2A provides a connection to the existing 19 miles of People Trails.
The North side of State Street will get 8 and 10-foot wide multi-mode trails with new curbing. Colored brick pavers, just like the colors downtown, will create a ‘shy zone’ strip next to the curb. Bicyclists and pedestrians will have a greater sense of safety as they travel the north side trail.
South side will get NEW 6-foot wide concrete sidewalks with new curbing.
- New curbs and gutters
- Custom designed crosswalks
- 6 all-new contemporary designed brick curb ramps.
- All ramps and street crossings will be ADA compliant.
- 32 Industrial arts-inspired pedestrian lights with color accents
- Sculptural wave elements (320 linear feet) will line the north trail, providing interest and separation from adjoining property.
- Low maintenance plantings will intermingle with the sculptural element. This will offer year-round interest and visual separation
- New public green spaces will be incorporated: one (1) at Stadler – one (1) at Indiana
- Greenspaces will include contemporary designs features with ADA compliant crushed stone paving and large stone mulch.
- Engraved brick pavers – Follow this link for the Order Form and have your name become part of Columbus history for years to come!
- More than 2000 other brick pavers adding interest, color and pattern
- Iconic Columbus “C” bike racks
- Bollard lights on the trail side adding safety for pedestrians – dusk to dawn!
- Flowering trees
- Shade trees
- Columnar trees at the greenspaces providing privacy for neighboring residents
- Concrete edging around landscaped areas
- Groundcover with colorful foliage and flowers
- ‘Puzzle Benches’ in greenspaces with a whimsical design (see picture below)
UPDATE: September 1, 2017
Now that all the finishing touches have been installed on the State Street Bridge, residents, workers and visitors are enjoying the bridge’s elegant design features, pedestrian walkways and safe, updated passage to and from home and work.
The north side of State Street was first to receive a much needed and much anticipated facelift. State Street is in the midst of receiving nearly a full mile of improvements – in BOTH DIRECTIONS!
From the beautiful new bridge all the way to Mapleton Street, the North side of State Street is boasting new 8-10 foot wide concrete sidewalks, new gutters and curbs, multiple new concrete driveways at business entrances – and there’s more yet to come. New landscape and hardscape improvements are scheduled for October and November. The North side improvements will continue through the Fall with engraved brick installations, over 300 feet of designed sculptural wave elements, new street lights, improved overhead and bollard lighting, and, perhaps most exciting, unique greenspaces popping up.