Dates and Times
Please be aware the City of Columbus ordinance limits the time frame for use of consumer fireworks. The times below are the ONLY times that consumer fireworks may be set off within City limits.
June 29-July 3 and July 5-9 between 5:00 pm and no later than 11:00 pm.
July 4 between 10:00 am-11:59 pm
December 31 at 10:00 am through January 1 at 1:00 am
In general, consumer fireworks may only be used at:
- Special discharge locations;
- The property of the person using the firework; or
- The property of another who has given the individual permission to use fireworks on their property.
However, please note that a person who sets off fireworks, even in a legal location, may still be held liable for any resulting injuries or damage caused to another person or their property.
Fireworks may only be used or possessed by individuals who are 18 or older unless an adult is present and responsible at the location of possession or use.
Always remember the following safety tips when interacting with fireworks:
- Use extreme caution when lighting fireworks in the wind. Keep spectators where the wind is blowing smoke and debris away from them.
- Never smoke or consume alcohol when lighting fireworks.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.
- Do not attempt to make or alter any fireworks or firework devices.
- Always have a fire extinguisher or water supply, such as a hose or bucket of water, nearby.
- Only light one firework at a time and never attempt to re-light or fix a “dud” firework.
- Be considerate of individuals with PTSD and other types of medical conditions. The noise can cause severe stress and reaction in neighbors.
- Think about pets. Animals have sensitive ears and can be very frightened or stressed by fireworks sounds.