Regulations for Open Burning Inside Columbus City Limits
The Fire Chief is authorized to require open burning be immediately discontinued if such burning constitutes a hazardous condition.
- Open burning of rubbish is prohibited.
- Open containers having a bottom, sides and a ¼ inch mesh top are approved for burning.
- The minimum required distance from a structure is 15 feet.
- A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a 4-A rating or other approved on site fire extinguishing equipment such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose or water truck shall be available for immediate utilization.
- Burning material shall be constantly attended by a person knowledgeable in the use of the fire extinguishing equipment required by this section and familiar with any limitations that restrict open burning. An attendant shall supervise the burning material until the fire has been extinguished.
Below are examples of approved containers.