Community Development seeks to empower individuals and groups of people with the skills they need to effect change within their communities.
A partial listing of our programs:
- Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) – benefit low and moderate income individuals; eliminate slums and blight; or meet a need having a particular urgency, which is a detriment to the health and safety of the general public.
- Small Business Loans -provides loans and technical assistance to emerging businesses in Columbus.
- Tax Abatement – offers temporary tax deductions to eligible companies constructing or expanding a facility within an Economic Revitalization Area (ERA) for real and/or personal property.
- Ethnic Expo – a multi-cultural festival that occurs the second weekend of October highlighting Columbus’ diverse community.
- The Banner Program – enhance and beautify the Central Business District, add color and excitement to downtown Columbus and aid in the promotion of cultural and civic events.
- The Garden Project – provide city residents a suitable area for their own garden to grow food, or to practice amateur gardening.
- Code Enforcement – Code enforcement officials protect the public health, safety and welfare of City residents in relationship to the built environment. Complaints generated by City residents and agencies regarding housing, residential/commercial building, land use, zoning, businesses, and other property complaints are investigated. Abandoned vehicles also fall under the category of maintaining the quality of the municipality.