Community Police Review Board
The City has established the Community Police Review Board (“CPRB”) in an effort to foster transparency, gain community trust and respond to the needs of residents as they relate to the Columbus Police Department. The Columbus Human Rights Commission provides technical assistance and the Board of Public Works and Safety is the administrative body over the process.
The purpose and aim of the Board are to:
- Provide a systematic means by which to achieve continuous improvement in police community interactions.
- Provide an independent process for review and appeal of formal citizen complaints.
- Add a citizen perspective to the evaluation of these formal complaints.
- Contribute to timely, fair and objective review of formal citizen complaints.
- Provide fair and equal treatment to both community members and police officers.
Citizens interested in serving on the Community Police Review Board should complete the application via the link below and submit to Columbus Human Rights Commission at email@example.com.
Please direct questions regarding the application process to the Human Rights Commission.
Individuals who wish to file a complaint against the Columbus Police Department may complete and submit a complaint form within 15 business days of the incident.
Online Complaint Form: City of Columbus Police Complaint Form
Printable Complaint Form: City of Columbus, Indiana — Police Complaint Form (PDF)
Hard copy forms are available at the following locations:
- Columbus Police Department
- Bartholomew County Public Library
- Su Casa
- United Way
- Human Rights office in Columbus City Hall
- Lincoln-Central Neighborhood Center
- Anderson Community Center
Printable and hard copy forms may be sent to the Columbus Police Department or the Human Rights Commission in City Hall, 123 Washington Street, Columbus, IN 47201.
Individuals who need technical assistance with the form, a reasonable accommodation, or an interpreter may contact the Human Rights Commission in-person, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 376-2532 for assistance.
Once you have submitted a form, you will receive updates via U.S. Mail. Decisions may be appealed to the Columbus Police Review Board.