In 2019, the City of Columbus adopted the Envision Columbus plan as part of the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The Envision Columbus plan focused on downtown development. The plan identified some catalytic projects for downtown Columbus, with one being the development of a new downtown Hotel Conference Center. The future location of the Hotel Conference Center is currently a surface parking lot for Bartholomew County employees and the Probation Department.
The Redevelopment Commission has acquired the referenced County owned property. The acquisition agreement included building a new Court Services Center in exchange for ownership of the property for the future Hotel Conference Center development. The Redevelopment Commission agreed to contribute $1,500,000 toward the construction of a new facility and to finance anything over $1,500,000.
- May 2020: Atelier Risting was engaged to develop design and architectural plans for a new Court Services Center
- November 2020: The Redevelopment Commission issued a Request for Proposal for a general contractor, mechanical contractor and electrical contractor for the Court Services Building
- December 2020: Bids were received for the construction of the new Court Services Center and were reviewed for completeness and compliance
- January 2021: The Redevelopment Commission closed and took possession of the future Court Services Building site and awarded the construction contract to Dunlap & Company and Barth Electric
- March 2021: Work begins on the Court Services site with the demolition of the former Eynon Law Offices
- May 2021: Human bones found at the construction site for the new Court Services Center are taken to the University of Indianapolis for further study and are believed to be from the Adena culture
- August 2021: The foundation is poured, framing is started and construction efforts continue
- April 2022: Projected construction completion timeline
Design concepts below:
See photos below of the ongoing construction progress. Drone photos: Dunlap & Company Inc. Ground photos: Mikala Brown.