The City of Columbus utilizes an automated trash collection program. The introduction of this program allows for residential growth and prevents employees from physically dumping the refuse cans, preventing injuries. All services are collected on the same day and toters should be placed 2′ apart from each other.
- Trash is collected one time per week. Brown trash toters must be set out by 7:00 am on collection day & not prior to 24 hours before pickup. Toters must be moved back up to the residence within 24 hours of collection.
- The brown toter must be placed with the arrow on the lid pointing toward the street. Please avoid placing the toter around any obstructions, mailboxes, fences, low hanging limbs, etc., and avoid parking in front of toter on collection day.
- Trash needs to be bagged and placed in toter for pickup. Trash left outside of toter will NOT be collected, please check out our “special pick-ups” for items that will not fit in your toter.
- Trash will only be picked up in the brown toters. Green yard waste toters or recycle toters cannot be used as trash toters and will not be dumped.
- Trash collection areas must be kept clean at all times. Failure to do so may result in a sanitation letter with possible fine.
- An armful of tree limbs or 1 bag can go in trash toter.
- Ashes/sawdust must be bagged & tied off for collection by sanitation crew.
- Hypodermic needles must be in a rigid container with lid (soap bottle/milk jug) before it is placed in the trash toter.
- Paint cans must have lids off & paint dried out & then put in trash toter.
Prohibited Waste – The following wastes will not be collected by sanitation crews at any time:
- Lead acid batteries or propane gas tanks
- Move-out or clean-out trash
- Motor oil or tires
- Containers of wet paint
- Hazardous/Infectious wastes
- Construction debris/concrete or roofing/carpeting